Interview with Jessica Ross - Author of How to Make Herbal Teas and Heal your Body Naturally

Can you tell us a little about your books and yourself?

I often ask myself 'who is Jessica Ross?' and the answer which almost always comes back is somebody who is trying to teach people how to break away from pharmaceuticals, and get back to our heritage. We have a long, rich history of natural healing, which somewhere along the way got transformed into dependence on manufactured medication, I see myself as a small link in helping to break that cycle. 




My books are just one of the 'vehicles' I use to achieve this. Writing is a relaxing outlet for me so it's what you will find me doing most of the time I'm not with my family. 

What inspired you to write your books?

I've always had a passion for writing, and after a long break from writing children's stories under a pseudonym, I decided to let my belief in having the freedom to say no to the drug companies take the limelight, and I began writing my natural health series, How to make tinctures' being the first book in this series. 

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I always learn something from each book I write, sometimes something personal about myself, other times something much more profound, however this time I discovered that so many more people desperately want to move into natural healing where safe and possible. I even found people willing to move from pharmaceuticals for what I would consider 'alpha' conditions such as heart problems. This is something I would never recommend of course, not unless it is discussed and monitored by your health professional.

What are some challenges that you faced while writing?

I didn't really face what you could consider a problem as such. The only problem I really faced was that I wanted the book to be an introduction into how to make tinctures for your health, so needed to keep the amount of recipes to a minimum. 

So my issue was which ones to put in the book and which to edit out. However that has allowed me to start work on How to make tinctures volume 2, which is already crammed to the rafters with recipe after recipe, and by the time I finish will be up to around 101 recipes. 

Who or what in your life would you say influenced you the most?

My parents. They were firm believers in idea of being able to do what you feel passionate about, to make even a small difference. Life is for living, so live it well. 

What are your hobbies and interests away from the desk?

Oh dear, my hobbies are terribly 'everyday' I'm afraid. My family always takes precedence over anything, that includes my writing. I cherish every day I have with them. I love my animals too, so nice long walks are a great way to clear your head and bond with my dogs. 

What do you get passionate about?

Well I think my books say it better than I could. I guess if I had to summarise it into one sentence then it would be to loosen the grip that commercial pharmaceuticals have over our lives, and get back some of our freedom. 

What does 'success' mean to you?

Balance. I know that may sound a little strange for an answer, but to me you cannot have success without failure, so the true secret of success is to balance the failures to your successes. 

What are your current projects?

Well I've just finished How to make herbal tea's, which is now available on Amazon. It is in the same vein as how to make tinctures, in that it is an introduction into the art of healing through tea, but this time I added many more recipes to get, and keep you going. 

I'm also in the middle of writing How to make tinctures volume 2 as mentioned earlier. Look out for it when it hits Amazon, shouldn't be too long now. 

I run a free newsletter too, an all natural health related monthly newsletter where I give free recipes, answer readers questions and generally try to make a difference in your life, in a small, easy to read email. 

If you want to sign up you can do so here: http://ross.theherbalworkshop.co.uk

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Oh that's easy, just start to write it. If you never start it, you'll never finish it. If it's not what you expected then you can always edit it as you go and make it perfect. 

Leave a Reply