Interview with Ingrid Hicks - Author of Among The Undead (Escape to KP)

Can you tell us a little about your books and yourself?

I started writing Among the Undead about 2 years ago, I wrote the first two
chapters, got busy with life and work so I left it aside to pick it up later.The concept of the story was conceived basically while driving. With my business I have to travel some distance and the only thing that keeps me awake is music. Music helps me creatively, always has and I started creating
these scenarios with characters in my head which now I've turned into books.



My background is quite far from writing actually. I'm a fashion designer by
trade, later I went to school for graphic design and eventually started my own
uniform company. I've always been a creative person, I've done everything
from fashion, uniforms, websites, designed logos, photography and nowputting
these thoughts in my head on paper.

What inspired you to write your books?
There was a time when my husband and I pretty much watched every zombie
movie ever made out there, it was a weekly ritual and I think that's where
the inspiration came from. But aside from the gore which we've all come
accustomed to watching zombie flicks, I wanted an actual story, a story of
survival, the possibility that if you do lose it all you can indeed  get it
back, second chances, the ability to coexist with strangers and make a
family out of it while trying to survive chaos and uncertainty. Also it was
very important to me to have a story set in my hometown of Toronto. I can't
write about places I don't know because I can't relate to them.
One thing I can tell you is that I like to make the impossible, possible. My
characters, especially in Among the Undead are almost superheroes but
they're not, they are just really good at survival.

Among the Undead (Escape to KP)

Miss-Fortunate Reality

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
How challenging it is to successfully put visuals into words. Attention to
detail with every character while keeping the reader engaged. I wanted strong personalities for my main characters, and they needed to be different because they needed to clash but yet madly love each other. It was easy with "Lauren" but putting myself in a male perspective of "Tyler" was
quite the challenge, especially with part 2  of Among the Undead (to be
released spring 2014).

What are some challenges that you faced while writing?
Finding time, I have two young boys and I finished Among the Undead over the
summer of 2013 while they were both at home.With Among the Undead I had to learn a lot about weapons; guns, swords,knifes, etc. I've never used any of it but I do have a keen interest in guns
so it wasn't hard to do the research in the different types the characters
used.

Who or what in your life would you say influenced you the most?
One of my favorite writers was/is Edgar Allan Poe, and all the film
adaptations of his books with the late Vincent Price was my obsession for a
very long time.Horror and movies about the occult pretty much shaped my childhood,
adolescence and adulthood. I think that was a great influence for Among the
Undead.I also write romance novels and that comes from me. My stories are not your
average boy meets girl, they are about betrayal, adultery and finding that
impossible love.

What are your hobbies and interests away from the desk?
Work takes much of my time, so writing is my hobby. But on my off time I
like to spend it with my family and my best friends.

What do you get passionate about?
I love music, and I have to create new  playlists all the time to suit my
mood for that period of time. This gets my creative juices flowing and I
start thinking of things to do or in this instance possible stories. I'm
also very passionate about changing my body and I love to work out, eat
right and spread the word. I like to motivate others to do the same.

What does "success" mean to you?
I've been very lucky to be successful at almost everything I've done and I
say almost because I have failed miserably at some things as well.
I think "Success" is not only what it looks like on paper or what others see
or even a monetary thing but it's what you can accomplish and see it through
to the end. I feel very successful to have completed three books, and
although I may never be the next Stephen King or J.K. Rowling, I've written
and published and some have even read my books which is more than I could
have ever imagined. I'm thrilled.

What are your current projects?
I'm polishing up Among the Undead - Part 2 and I'm working on two other
romance novels at the moment.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
If you have a great idea for a book, don't get discouraged because you have
no writing experience or background. You'll never know until you try.

Leave a Reply