Interview with Daniel Bishop - Author of Ground Zero - Lockdown

Can you tell us a little about your books and yourself?

I'm from Hemel Hempstead, just outside of London and this became my setting for Ground Zero series. GroundZero  is a "mini series" built up of three short installments spread over 24 hours. I am currently a Network Engineer but it has always been a dream to write full time so in September 2012 I decided to throw caution to the wind and publish some of my stuff. 




What inspired you to write your books?

I was diagnosed with dyslexia in school and really struggled, I was not supported by my teachers so I took things into my own hands. I got myself a laptop when I was around 13 and started writing, now I am able to read and write confidently all by teaching myself, writing really did change my life. I hope that I can show others like me that nothing can stop you doing what you enjoy!


Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I would say I have seen that I can do what I love which is writing. I have had some amazing support and fantastic feed back, I know I am not a professional writer and I am still learning. But my confidences has grown and I know that nothing can stop you doing what you really want to do.


What are some challenges that you faced while writing?

For me personally it has to be the standard that is expected for someone who is using their hard earned money to download my book. My dyslexia is still a big challenge and I have to live with that everyday when I write, with a fantastic editor and group of friends who have supported me I have been able to overcome this. I just hope that my readers can see passed this and also maybe inspire other people with dyslexia. 

Who or what in your life would you say influenced you the most?

For me it has to be my friends! I have a wonderful network of friends and they always shine through in my writing. In my ground Zero series you will find all of my friends, every character is based on one of them! It is however difficult when I have to kill someone off and then I have to explain why I killed them over another character.

What are your hobbies and interests away from the desk?

Music, it has to be my music. I can never pull my headphones off, if I am not working, out with friends then I am sat at home listening to my music. I would also say comics, I love anything Marvel! My office looks more like Marvel shrine rather then a place for my writing.

What do you get passionate about?

This has to come back to my dyslexia. I am very passionate about showing people you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I remember in school I was telling a teacher I wanted to be a writer, she just laughed and said to my face I could never do that with my current skills. I was so angry that someone told me I couldn't do it, so I ignored it and kept on writing. Now look at me, people are reading what I write! I really want to show people that dyslexia is not something to hold you back.


What does "success" mean to you?

Good question! I personally think someone reading my work and enjoying it is success. Dont get me wrong I would love to write full time as a day job. I would live in Italy, drink a glass of red wine and watch the sun go down as I write. But I have a successful and ever growing career in my day job. I would love to write full time and be successful enough to do so, but right now I just love the fact people are reading my work!

What are your current projects?

I am currently working on the last in my Ground Zero series which I hope to release in the next year, time and work depending of course. I am also working on a one off horror which I hope to also release in the next year or so, this will be my first novel rather then my normal novellas. I am really excited about this one and I cant wait to share more when the time is right.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

It would be, JUST DO IT! Don't care about anyone else and what they say, just do it! All you need is a laptop and some free time, give it a try! If anyone wants any advise or pointers, check my website out and email me or even tweet me.

Leave a Reply